Press Release Excerpts:
Tokyo, Japan – Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today debuted the sleek and powerful BlackBerry® Bold™ 9700 smartphone in Japan. The new BlackBerry Bold 9700 delivers an extensive array of high-end communications and multimedia features in a compact and highly refined design that will appeal to users for both professional and personal use.
The new BlackBerry Bold offers top-of-the-line performance, functionality and features in a smaller, lighter and highly optimized design. It features support for 3G networks around the world, a next-generation (624 MHz) processor, built-in GPS and Wi-Fi®, a 3.2MP camera and a dazzling, high resolution display. In addition, the BlackBerry Bold 9700 supports BlackBerry® Messenger, mixi®, Twitter®, Facebook® and a range of popular instant messaging services and social media sites that keep users connected.
Cutting edge engineering and premium finishes extend to the exterior of the handset as well, with a smoothly integrated optical trackpad and a highly tactile, distinctive, fretted keyboard. The dark chrome frame and leatherette back add to the new smartphone’s sleek and elegant look, while the narrow profile, balanced weight and soft-touch sides allow it to feel incredibly comfortable in one hand.
The BlackBerry Bold 9700 supports BlackBerry App World™, which enables users to download a broad and growing catalog of free mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry smartphones.
The BlackBerry Bold 9700 is now available at NTT docomo shops and authorized retailers.
Key features of the BlackBerry Bold 9700 smartphone include:
* Sleek design measuring 4.29" x 2.36" x 0.56" (109 mm x 60 mm x 14.1 mm) and weighing only 4.3 oz (122 grams) Sharp and dazzling 2.44” light-sensing display (480 x 360 resolution at 245 ppi)
* Highly tactile full-QWERTY keyboard – with finely sculpted keys and chrome frets – for fast, accurate typing
* Innovative optical trackpad that allows intuitive and responsive navigation
* Built-in Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g) for faster web browsing and extended data coverage
* 3.2 MP camera with variable zoom, autofocus, flash and video recording Built-in GPS for maps and other location-based applications, as well as photo geotagging
* Media player for videos, pictures and music (music play up to 38 hours), plus BlackBerry® Media Sync for easily syncing photos as well as music from iTunes® and Windows Media® Player with the smartphone*
* BlackBerry® Desktop Manager for both PCs and Macs to enable synching data such as contacts and calendar appointments between a computer and the smartphone
* 3.5 mm stereo headset jack, dedicated volume controls, Lock and Mute keys seamlessly integrated across the top of the handset
* microSD/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 32 GB; a 2GB card is included
* 256 MB of Flash memory
* Access to BlackBerry App World™, featuring a broad and growing catalog of mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry smartphones. Categories include entertainment, IM and social networking, news, weather, productivity and more
* Premium and easy-to-access phone features, background noise suppression technology and high quality speakerphone
* Bluetooth® (2.1) with support for Secure Simple Pairing, hands-free headsets, stereo headsets, car kits and other Bluetooth peripherals
* Support for BlackBerry services including access to up to 10 supported email accounts (including most popular ISP email accounts such as Yahoo!®, Windows Live™ Hotmail®, AOL® and Gmail™); and BlackBerry® Enterprise Server support, which features advanced security and IT administration for corporate deployments
* Supports UMTS/HSDPA 2100/1900/850/800 MHz and quad-band EDGE/GPRS/GSM
* Certain music files may not be supported, including files that contain digital rights management technologies. Photo syncing is currently only available for Windows-based PCs.
Full Press Release HERE!