I was going to post the change-log of bug fixes for this release, but there are a whole bunch of them. So I will just say, this is a much improved version for sure. This 7.0 version since it has launched in beta has been a big highlight for me, especially with the voice feature now being available. After the update you will need to restart your device.
BBM 7 with Voice includes a number of convenient features.
- Customers can initiate a BBM Voice call directly, or instantly switch from a BBM text chat to talk, and back again.
- The split-screen feature allows customers to talk and text at the same time, so for example, they can send a picture to their contact while talking with them. They can also check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps while engaged on a BBM Voice call.
- BBM provides a visual indicator that shows when contacts are available for a voice call.
- BBM Voice is compatible with any accessories a customer has now for making voice calls on their BlackBerry smartphone, such as a Bluetooth® or wired headset. Customers can also use BBM Voice over their BlackBerry smartphone’s speakerphone.
- If it’s not an ideal time to talk, customers can simply choose to respond by texting back.
If you are a beta zone member follow the link below to get the update, if you are not a beta zone member, I suggest following the same link and getting signed up.
Please note: BBM 18.104.22.168 is no longer compatible with BBOS 5.x devices. Support for the BBM Voice feature on smartphones running the BlackBerry 5 OS is planned for a future date.
The Beta can be downloaded for free from BlackBerry Beta Zone**. Customers can sign up to BlackBerry Beta Zone for free at www.BlackBerry.com/betazone.